I found a helpful and wonderful resource recently. Pastor Harry Allan "Harry" Ironside (1876-1951) published commentaries on the Book of Proverbs, including "Notes on the Book of Proverbs" in 1908. We all need God's wisdom.
There are two ways of learning the emptiness of the world and the true character of sin. The most common way is to tread the thorny path oneself and thereby taste fully the bitterness of departure from God. The more desirous way is to accept His Word regarding the character of sin. This enables the obedient disciple to say, “Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer” (Psalm 17:4).
The bitter disappointments, the skeptical darkness, and the weary heart of Solomon, a result of trusting his own wisdom, are strongly delineated in the record of the tempests of his soul. This confusion need never be the portion of the child of God who orders his steps in the truth.
I also encourage you at least weekly to listen to the Book of Proverbs. I like to hear Alexander Scourby (1913-1985) read the King James Bible. It just takes 1 hour and 46 minutes to hear the entire book. ...
John 14:26, “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”
The Holy Bible is not just another book, it is a Living Book according to Hebrews 4:12, “For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.” The word “quick” means alive. John 6:63, “It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.” The Word of God is alive because they are words inspired (breathed out) by the Holy Spirit of God. No manmade book can make that claim!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.