The belief that you can stop sinning completely and achieve sinless perfection is unbiblical. The Bible says that if we claim to be without sin, we call God a liar, we deceive ourselves with self righteousness and the truth is not in us:
1 John 1:8 (KJB)
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
(have no sin - present tense)
1 John 1:10 (KJB)
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
(have not sinned - past tense)
Ecclesiastes 7:20 (KJB)
20 For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.
Proverbs 20:9 (KJB)
9 Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin?
Galatians 6:3 (KJB)
3 For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.
Romans 10:3 (KJB)
3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
Galatians 2:21 (KJB)
21 I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.
Galatians 3:3 (KJB)
3 Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
Luke 16:15 (KJB)
15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
Proverbs 21:2 (KJB)
2 Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: But the LORD pondereth the hearts.
Matthew 5:28 (KJB)
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
- Unbelief - Lack of faith (Hebrews 3:12)
- Doubt - Anything outside of faith (Romans 14:23)
- Not loving God with ALL of your heart, soul, & mind (Mark 12:30)
- Not loving your neighbor as yourself (Mark 12:31
- Not doing what you know you should (James 4:17)
- Any pride, arrogance, or Ego (Proverbs 15:6)
- Stubbornness/ Hardheadedness (Jeremiah 18:12)
- Gluttony - Eating beyond your needs (Philippians 3:19)
- Any foolish thought (Proverbs 24:9)
- Any careless word (Matthew 12:36)
- Crude joking (Ephesians 5:3-4)
- Love of money (2 Timothy 3:2)
- Bad stewardship, foolish with money, wasteful (Proverbs 21:20)
- Gossip (Proverbs 20:19)
- Unthankful / Ungrateful (2 Timothy 3:2)
- Complaining (Philippians 2:14-15)
- Unjust anger (Colossians 3:8)
- Bitterness (Ephesians 4:31)
- Unholy speech, not limited to cussing (Colossians 3:8)
- Lustful thoughts (Matthew 5:28)
- Idolatry - relying on, spending more time focused on something than God (1 Peter 4:3)
- Sensuality (Galatians 5:19)
- Coveting - Desiring what someone else has (Exodus 20:17)
- Envy- Desiring someone to not have something ( 1 Peter 2:1)
- Boasting/ Bragging (Romans 1:30)
- Clamor - Shouting obnoxiously (Ephesians 4:31)
- Deceit - Twisting truth, or withholding truth (Mark 7:22)
- Lying, even the white ones (Proverbs 12:22)
- Tattletale (Matthew 18:15-17)
- Judging unrighteously; Hypocrisy (Luke 12:1)
- Fearfulness (Matthew 10:26)
- Cowardice (Revelation 21:8)
- Quarreling / Arguing (James 4:1-2)
- Swearing an oath (James 5:12)
- Giving with an impure motive (2 Corinthians 9:7)
- Holding Grudges / Unforgiving (Colossians 3:13)
- Harshness, mean attitude (Colossians 3:19)
- Enmity - Being hostile or opposed to someone (Galatians 5:20)
- Desiring fame (John 12:43)
- Effeminate - A man acting feminine, unmanly (1 Corinthians 6:9)
- Chambering - Living together before marriage (Romans 13:13)